Base de données de bourses
Informations sur les financements du DAAD pour étudiants non-diplômés et diplômés, doctorants et post-doctorants ainsi que pour enseignants-chercheurs ; informations sur les offres de financement d’autres organismes (en anglais).
Postdoctoral Fellowships in Sub-Saharan Africa • DAAD
By training future academic and professional leaders, the programme contributes to the following long-term impacts:
- Qualified professionals’ involvement in the solution of development-related problems in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Postgraduates strengthening education and research in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Structural strengthening and regional networking of partner institutions and partner universities
Who can apply?
For further information, see: “Application requirements”
What can be funded?
The project should not be a reworking or mere extension of the candidate’s doctoral research project.
- The host institution has to adequately participate in the costs (e.g. by providing the necessary infrastructure, other local expenses).
- The host and the candidate must have established close communication and devised a concrete concept note.
- The implementation of the fellowship should contribute to develop staff exchange between Sub-Saharan African universities.
Applications may come from all subject areas with strong relevance to national or regional development.
The fellowships are tenable at any Sub-Saharan African university, preferably at former or current host institutions of the In-Country/In-Region programme or at institutions having an existing cooperation with German institutes of higher education or operating with international academic partners, e.g. the DAAD Centers of African Excellence.
Terms and Conditions
At the end of the fellowship the fellow has to provide a detailed report on the findings of the research co-signed by the hosting researcher and give further information on future co-operation and academic activities.
Duration of the funding
- A travel allowance (only In-Region*)
- A monthly research allowance of EUR 100,--
- A monthly instalment of EUR 500,-- (In-Country*) / EUR 1.000,-- (In-Region*)
- If a health insurance is compulsory for work and/or visa regulations DAAD will accept the costs for a standard tariff upon submission of receipt of paid invoice (only In-Region*).
*In-Region Scholarships are aimed at fellows who want to participate in a postdoctoral programe in a country of their home region (here: Sub-Saharan Africa/outside their home country). In-Country Scholarships are aimed at fellows who study in their home country or in the country for which they have a residence permit.
Please note: In case the research stay takes place in your home country, no travel lump sum or health insurance will be paid.
The scholarship is designed as a subsidy to the scholar’s current salary / study leave income. The travel allowance and the honorarium cover all costs arising from and in connection with the travel and stay. This may be, for example, visa fees, costs for health checks or vaccinations, baggage costs or luggage insurance and taxable charges.
The scholarship will be paid directly to the scholarship holder´s banking account. Further details will be announced after admission to the scholarship programme.
The DAAD will endeavor to transfer/pay out the first payments as quickly as possible after the scholarship holder has arrived at the host institution. Nevertheless, it is recommended to bring a financial reserve for the first time period.
The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
Scholarships will be awarded subject to the provision of funds.