Base de données de bourses
Informations sur les financements du DAAD pour étudiants non-diplômés et diplômés, doctorants et post-doctorants ainsi que pour enseignants-chercheurs ; informations sur les offres de financement d’autres organismes (en anglais).
Research Grants – Doctoral Programmes in Germany • DAAD
Who can apply?
What can be funded?
- an individual project supervised by a university teacher (doctoral supervisor)
- participation in a structured doctoral study programme
Research phases outside Germany can also be funded if these are critical for the successful completion of your doctoral degree. Another requirement is that the visits should constitute no more than one quarter of the anticipated total funding period. You must provide details about the planned visits in your study plan and time schedule in your application documents (see "Application documents").
Duration of the funding
- Funding is provided for a maximum of four years; the length of the funding period is decided by a selection committee and depends on your project and study plan.
- Grants are initially awarded for a maximum of one year. Extensions depend on whether the selection committee considers your previous award period to have been successfully completed.
- Monthly payments of 1,200 euros
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- Travel allowance
- annual research allowance. If you come from a DAC country, you will receive a flat rate of € 460 (€ 230 in the fourth year); for all other countries the grant is € 260 (€ 130 in the fourth year).
- monthly rent subsidy
- monthly allowance for accompanying family members. Please also read our important information for scholarship applicants / section F, point 3.
- In the case of a disability or chronic illness: subsidy for additional costs which result from the disability or chronic illness and are not covered by other funding providers: Further information
To enable you to improve your language skills in preparation for your stay in Germany, DAAD offers the following services:
- Payment of course fees for an online language course after receipt of the Scholarship Award Letter
- if necessary: Language course (2, 4 or 6 months) before the start of the research stay in Germany; the DAAD decides whether to fund the grant holder's participation and for how long depending on language skills and project. If a language course scholarship is granted and the working language at the host institute is German, participation is compulsory. Due to the pandemic, German courses may take place online.
- Allowance for a personally chosen German language course during the grant period
- Reimbursement of the fee for a TestDaF or DSH test, which you can take either in your home country after you have received your Scholarship Award Letter or in Germany during your funding period.
The selection criteria are:
- Academic achievements (grade point average, development of grades)
- Academic progress
- Knowledge of the language of instruction or working language
- If applicable, scholarly achievements after graduation, (e.g. publications, lectures, conference papers)
- Quality of research proposal and preparation (originality, topicality and relevance of the project, choice of host institution and first contacts)
- Feasibility and consistency of study plan and schedule (analysis and evaluation stages)
- Incorporation of project within the overall doctorate (in terms of content and time), if relevant
- Career prospects: significance of the research project and stay in Germany for further academic, professional and personal development
- Motivation: academic and personal reasons for wanting to visit Germany, German language skills (if different from working language)
- Non-study-related activities: non-study-related knowledge and skills, civic engagement
The selection committee also gives due consideration to equal opportunities; you can provide relevant information in the application form.
For more information on the selection procedure, go to Important Scholarship Information / Section E.